Thursday, April 02, 2009

Still trying to figure out that whole geek humor thing...

April Fools is a big day for geeks. It’s when geeks can play really nerdy jokes on each other/the internet. I attempted to get in on the fun but realized I’ve got a ways to go before I really nail the geek humor.

My plan was to change my whole Twitter account for the day, as though some bizarre hallucinating high schooler was tweeting about unicorns and fairies and other nonsense. Apparently a handful of friends actually thought it was hysterical and a pretty great April Fools joke someone played on ME. Then when I revealed it was me, attempting a lame-ass joke on OTHERS, well... joke fell flat. So that’s awkward. Joke's on me? Yes, turns out I was really just playing a joke on myself... although apparently a few people were mildly entertained (if not concerned that I was the one hallucinating).

So what have I learned from all this? I might be kind of loser. And I need to better iron out the details of touching on nerd-tech humor. It was an interesting experiment I guess?

Anyway, for those who weren’t following, or who are interested in what the hell I am talking about, here are all of yesterday’s tweets:

OMG I JUST SAW A CHERUB (one of those winged baby angels) RIDING A FUCKING UNICORN! SOMEONE CALL LISA FRANK! IS THAT A POT OF GOLD?

THAT LEPRECHAUN IS A CREEP. I'm going to pwn the shit out of him.

I have slain the leprechaun! w00t! I think that cherub just transformed into a My Little Pony. Smells like cupcakes.

IT WAS NEVER A CHERUB! IT WAS A WINGED UNICORN ALL ALONG! IT SMELLS LIKE MAGIC AND MERLIN'S BEARD IN HERE.

I've discovered the secret to ETERNAL LIFE! JUST BOTTLE UP THE TEARS OF A WINGED UNICORN AND MIX IT WITH THE BLOOD OF A LEPRECHAUN!

hmm. THAT ELIXIR WAS A BAD CHOICE. I THINK I'M GROWING A TAIL.

FUCK! Do tails grow out of your shoulder blades?

Shit. It's wings. I'M GROWING A PAIR OF WINGS.

Just looked in mirror. I seem to have morphed into a cherub myself. Off to find a unicorn to befriend. Then leprechaun hunting.

OH NO! A wizard cast a spell on me. I am now doomed to an eternity of chasing flying monkeys. MUST FIND A FAIRY TO COUNTERACT EVIL MAGIC.

UGH. Just when I found a woodland sprite one of those G-D flying monkeys scared it away. QUESTION: WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO CALL A MALE FAIRY?

Apparently FAIRY is gender neutral. http://tinyurl.com/cryewb THANK GOD BECAUSE I CAN'T TELL IF THAT ORANGE ONE THERE IS MALE OR FEMALE!

that fairy was one whiny bitch (turned out she was female). THANK GOD THE FLYING MONKEY ATE HER. ditching fairy-plan to find a shaman king.

Man that shaman was a douche. Thank God he showed me how to teleport. Now I'm chilling on a rainbow with my unicorn friends, free of evil.

Ugh. Spoke too soon. Mad sorcerer, 3 o'clock. Wish I had one of those flying monkey bastards. WAIT! I HAVE WINGS! I FORGOT!

If an April Fools joke falls down in the forest and no one's there to hear it, is it still funny? I am going to go with NO.

No comments: