Monday, June 29, 2009

Excuse me while I curl up into fetal position and cry for a while

So this is the first summer in probably the past five or six years that I won't be celebrating the 4th of July with my extended family (on the Stamell side) on Martha's Vineyard.

See for most people, the 4th signifies excessive drinking and AMERICA but for me it's more of a low key affair--good food, nice dinner with my dad & step-mom, then driving to Edgartown in time to either miss the fireworks and watch them in the pouring rain.

So forgive me if I am not jumping with joy to be celebrating the 4th this year here in LA. LA doesn't scream FREEDOM and AMERICA'S BIRTHDAY to me, not like the quaint New England settings I am used to.

But, I shall try to make the most of it. Rather than mope around the house homesick I've got a very patriotic bathing suit to wear (it just screams "I love freedom!") and plan on getting some R & R. And in addition to celebrating America's birthday, it's my official half-birthday as well. Which is normally awesome but this year sucks. Being 25 is cool. 25 and a half? Less cool. Because it's halfway to 26 and I think that anything after 25 is upsetting. But talk to me about this again when I am 30 and we'll see if I feel differently.

No comments: