Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Upside to the Recession

I took a moment during my lunch break today to wander around the luxury mall across the street from my office. I say luxury because there's a Bloomingdales and a CUSP but I imagine that any mall compared to the MAINE MALL is luxury.

Anyway, it's amazing how many stores are advertising sales like "EVERYTHING IS AN ADDITIONAL 20% OFF!" or "PLEASE DEAR GOD BUY SOMETHING FROM US' or "IF YOU COME IN HERE WE'RE GOING TO MAKE YOU FEEL SO SORRY FOR US YOU'LL BUY A PIECE OF CRAP... ON SALE!"

No but really, the sales are insane.

For example, today I went into one of my favorite stores, J. Crew offshoot Madewell, thinking I probably wouldn't purchase anything because it's usually over my budget. I was browsing the sale rack in the back and lo and behold, found a cute pair of jeans my size, and thought, sure, why not, I will try them on.

In the dressing room I decided they were fine--not amazing, but had the potential to be cute, if worn with the right top or shoes. I haven't bought jeans in a while so I was leaning towards getting them, but also prepared to talk myself out of buying them if they were too expensive. And thats when I saw the price tag.

$4.99

Yes, $4.99. Marked down from... (wait for it)... $135. As in, these jeans were $130 dollars OFF. As in, a 96% markdown. As in, I WIN.

So sure, the recession kind of sucks because everyone's poor, but then you can get things for really, really cheap. And well... that's kind of awesome.

See? There's a silver lining to everything...

No comments: