Tuesday, September 15, 2009

my neverending quest for olive cream cheese

I love bagels. LOVE. I especially love everything, cinnamon raisin and pumpernickel bagels. Those are my top three faves. It's been something of a struggle to find a really fantastic bagel place in LA, thought I have found two that I do enjoy. HOWEVER, nowhere in this city can I find olive cream cheese, the most delicious of cream cheeses, and apparently available ONLY on the East Coast.

AND THEN...

Today I took a different route to work (after an early morning visit to the DMV) and passed a bagel place I'd always wanted to check out. I walked in and there I saw it--among the listed items under cream cheese flavors was Olive and I could hardly contain my excitement, and after much deliberation (EVERYTHING OR PUMPERNICKEL!) I ordered an everything bagel toasted with olive cream cheese, only to receive this response from the indifferent man at the counter.

"Olive cream cheese has been discontinued."

I'm sorry? DISCONTINUED YOU SAY! JUST WHEN I THINK I'VE FOUND MY MOST FAVORITE OF SPREADABLE CHEESES AND YOU TAKE IT AWAY FROM ME!

So I went with cinnamon raisin and low-fat plain. Delicious, but not the same.

And therefore, I'd like to announce that I am going to attempt to make my own olive cream cheese. And then go to bagel places and make people try it and like it until they realize it's a flavor that every bagel place needs to offer.

Okay so I probably won't do this but maybe one day I will be inspired. Until then, I'll just frequent every bagel place in LA to find the olive cream cheese my heart so desires.

No comments: