Tuesday, March 23, 2010

All TV, all the time.

I have cable TV. In my bedroom. This, my friends, is HUGE.

The only other time such a monumental event has taken place was during the six months after my jaw surgery, and two of those months I spent a lot of hours in bed, recuperating, so it was something of a necessity.

Now? Still a necessity! HAH! (Can you sense my attempt at rationalizing this new development, something I was raised by my parents to be adamantly against?) Well, it’s for my job. No, really. I know, I know – I have to watch TV for work. Poor me. See, prior to my new TV addition, we had one television with DVR that was shared by essentially 6 people give or take (depending on the day… we have a very social apartment). And when it became clear that I was going to need to start watching a lot of different shows we might not normally record, I decided to just bite the bullet and get some DirecTV for my room – this way I don’t have to worry about dueling recording schedules or things getting deleted before watching. And when I come home I don’t have to disrupt the roommates who may all already be watching something else that I either don’t want to watch, or don’t have time to watch.

HOWEVER, a direct result of this? I’ve started watching NCIS. Look, I like to claim I would never watch a show on CBS, but the thing is, this is the #1 most watched drama in the country, so I know I’m not alone here. It’s a good show. And it’s got some science stuff. And I LOVE science. Also – fun characters – it's essentially another one of those procedurals that sucks you in with interesting cases, and keeps you watching because of the character arcs.

As fun as it is to be watching a new show, there are some serious problems with this. First of all, NCIS is on ALL the time. It’s in syndication on USA which means that when USA had an NCIS Viewer’s Choice marathon on Saturday I was helpless – sucked in immediately. The other bad thing is that the main reason I got the cable hooked up in my room is because I’m supposed to be watching more comedy. Yep, I’m trying to watch the comedy slates on ALL the networks. So it doesn’t help when I find myself four hours into a procedural drama marathon. And one episode of How I Met Your Mother won’t make up for it.

But really, having cable in my room? It’s just awesome. This morning while I was getting ready for work I watched Obama sign the healthcare bill. IN MY ROOM. WHILE I WAS GETTING READY. Maybe this seems pretty 90s to a lot of you, but seriously, this is like, A MAJOR LIFE EVENT IN THE LIFE OF ANN P. STAMELL.

Now excuse me while I go research the best NCIS episodes I may have missed... Oh God. I just had a vision of my future: goodbye social life, I'm just going to be glued to TV marathons. Even worse is that my obsession with CNN and MSNBC and those all-news networks is probably going to come back. And don't even get me started on all the ESPN sports docs I am going to get sucked into... and have I mentioned NCIS?

3 comments:

Fay said...

Since you love Bones, I'm not surprised that you got sucked into the NCIS world. I just finished my on-and-off NCIS marathon which started last summer and went on during multiple Bones hiatus, and I have enjoyed it. As for good episodes, off top of my head: Season 3 "Under Covers" - Tony and Ziva are simply hot; Season 2 finale and Season 3 opener were shocking and emotionally charged; "Smoked" in season 4 is a very interesting case, very chilling; The currently season's opener is very good too. As light-hearted as the show is most of the time, the episodes that have stuck with me are the more emotional ones, especially cases involving kids. Season 2 opener is a good example, also an episode titled "The Honor Code" (forgot which season).

For me, this show is reliably entertaining but not as addictive as Bones. Which is probably a good thing. Because I'm not as lucky as you, to get to watch TV for your job!

Sorry for blabbering on your blog!

Unknown said...

Don't apologize for blabbering! Happy to hear other opinions!

Fay said...

Aww, that's really nice to hear.

Would love to hear your opinion too, once you have seen enough episodes. That is, if you ever decide to talk about it again ;)