Thursday, June 03, 2010

My Name is Annie, and I Watch Reality TV

There was a time when I enjoyed denouncing reality television. That time was about two years ago. My how the times have changed. Sure, I've always watched The Hills, but I am now realizing that I'm much more well-versed in reality TV than I realize.

Last night I was watching So You Think You Can Dance - which for the purposes of laziness, I will henceforth refer to as SYTYCD - and there was this amazing audition from a young dancer who was deaf that just really touched my cold black heart and I felt the formation of tears in my eye ducts. The tears did not fall, but I was totally happy to be watching this fantastic show. Really, it was a delight.

No longer will I spend my time pretending like I am some sort of TV snob who doesn't watch reality shows. I do watch reality shows. I watch the shitty ones on E! even. I may never watch Survivor or really understand the obsession with American Idol - a show I am pretty sure I still hate - but I am going to shed my discomfort at owning up to watching this crap and just embrace it. Yeah, I'm gonna embrace crap.

No comments: