Monday, August 16, 2010

I created the word "gypster." That word is in a new MTV pilot. I am feeling all sorts of cool.

Monday mornings suck. Or so I thought as I stepped up to the elliptical machine at my gym a good half hour later than normal this fine Monday morning. I was especially sluggish today - not at all surprising considering the excessively active weekend I had - I mean, I've got paintball welts covering parts of my body and muscles I never knew I had are in severe pain thanks to a hip-hop yoga class (also known as YogaHop. No seriously).

So there I am, just chugging along, listening to some LCD Soundsystem and reading my requisite Gym Pilot of the Day - in this case, the new MTV pilot I Just Want My Pants Back by David J. Rosen.

The pilot was great - well-written, smart, clever, laugh out loud - but much more important is the discovery I made on page 21:


Do you see that line there? That one in the center sorta... take a closer look. Actually, let me just type it up for you:

INT. LENCH'S PARTY - THAT NIGHT
Lench's loft is filled with drunk hipsters and gypsters.

THERE! THERE! THAT WORD! GYPSTERS! I INVENTED THAT WORD. ME. ANN PALMER STAMELL aka ANNIE aka STAMOS - I CREATED THE WORD "GYPSTER" AND NOW A REALLY SMART WRITER HAS USED IT FOR SCENE DIRECTION IN A TV PILOT FOR MTV!!!

Don't believe me? Take a look at this "New Slang" article in trendcentral, that I contributed to. Pay special close attention to the third slang item.

See that? GYPSTER.  That folks, was my legacy at Trend Central (- that and the word "epicosity"which a friend of mine actually created and I then submitted for a different "New Slang" piece. Oh and that time I wrote that "aprons were a hot new trend.") Still don't believe me? Well I can put you in touch with at least 10 former colleagues who will attest to the veracity of this statement.

But seriously - it's true. I COINED THAT WORD! It's like hipsters who dress really boho or something. You know, like the hipsters who are kinda more hippie than hip and maybe almost look like gypsies but with money and are less likely to throw a fake baby at you so they can steal your bag (it happened to someone I know, okay?) - those are GYPSTERS!

I READ A SCRIPT AND A WORD I CREATED WAS IN THAT SCRIPT.

Dude. I bet this is what Shakespeare felt like. Or something.

No comments: