Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Let's Talk About How Fucking Rad Janelle Monae is

Janelle Monae is really fucking rad. Let's talk about it.

Okay so you may have seen on Twitter that earlier this week I was freaking out when I discovered that her song "Say You'll Go" from her BOMB new album samples Debussy's "Claire de Lune." Janelle Monae is awesome. I mean that is killer. Debussy is without question my favorite composer ("Reverie" is the number one most listened to song in my iTunes library) and Janelle Monae is brilliant.

The best part about her new album, The ArchAndroid is the liner notes. Every song lists inspiration. My personal favorite would be for the very first jam, "Overture II:"

Inspired by Princess Leia's cinnamon buns hairstyle, Tim Burton's "Blue Girl With Wine" and Rachmaninoff's Piano Concert No. 2

So Janelle Monae and I should be friends. Obviously. We both share a love of Star Wars, Tim Burton and Debussy. Well, shit.

And I leave you with her kickass video for "Tightrope."

No comments: