Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Day in the Life Of... My Outfit

Let's the end the day on a wardrobe post. I mean, why not, right? Anyone out there? Just me? Okay I'll keep talking about myself then.

I am wearing a somewhat odd outfit today - that's certainly not out of the ordinary for me, but it's one of those outfits that has inspired many varied reactions, and I can't quite put my finger on the exact reason why...

The outfit (a description will have to suffice as I lack a tripod or self-timing camera) is as follows, from head to toe - links included where I could find 'em online:
This morning, after getting dressed post-workout one of my "gym friends" gave me a big "CUTE!" when she saw the outfit - and you know how there are certain people whose fashion sense you trust more than others? Well she's one of them so I felt like I was starting out the day on a good note. And does anyone else make "gym friends" or is that just me?

Then when I got to work my boss looked at me and said "Are you wearing some sort of Boardwalk Empire head gear thing?" To which I looked at him confused-like and doubtful. To which he responded "it's a little bizarre."


Next up - two catcalls during lunch. Not one, but two. First, while crossing the street I got a whistle from a stranger in a car, and then, on the way back to the office, about 45 minutes later, I got another whistle from a car going a different direction (so it must have been someone different?). And in between the catcalls a homeless man outside of Walgreens grumbled to me "Happy Thanksgiving, Pretty Lady." (How nice of you to say so, Creepy Homeless Man!) I'm not one of those girls who gets catcalls on the reg so I really think this was definitely because of the outfit. Maybe the skirt is borderline too-short?

Then I got back to the office to chat with my boss and a more senior exec who I sometimes do work for, whereupon the same Boardwalk Empire reference was made and discussed by both of them and then they started talking about my hair. But then they got distracted by food. Then the phone rang.

Then earlier this evening, a different co-worker made a big "Ooh!" when she saw the outfit and declared it was very "high-fashion." Sure? Thanks!


So I have no idea what any of this means. Maybe I should dress like this more often? Catch up on Boardwalk Empire to see what my boss was going on about? Stop wearing bows and other strange head pieces? One thing is for sure - tomorrow I imagine I'll be wearing something completely different. A friend of mine told me last week that she'd categorize my style as "California meets preppy meets 80s." Which I guess is accurate? I've never been so aware of my wardrobe since moving to LA - and mostly it's because of other people's reactions to my outfits. I like to think of my clothing as a chance to play dress-up everyday. I mean, deep down inside I'm just a twelve year old who crushes on boys and enjoys stickers and multi-colored nails and purple tights and rompers and sequins and neon and crazy scarves.

No comments: