Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Is there something in the water?

Okay this week I've been having some serious celebrity sightings. Well, not all of them have been serious, but they've been decent.

Monday morning driving to work (after my Jamba Juice run), I saw Lori Loughlin which has now become pretty ordinary (beat that Jon Stamos). After work I was driving to the gym and notice a Smart Car next to me. I don't think I've seen a Smart Car since I was in Europe so I was certainly intrigued, especially as this one had the darkest tinted windows I have ever seen, maybe in any vehicle. Well, sure enough this car is on its way to Equinox as well, and who does it end up being but none other than Malcom himself, the miniature Frankie Muniz.

I get into the gym, and after throwing my stuff in a locker and changing I head out to the main cardio floor and step onto a treadmill. Walking on the treadmill to my immediately left is Drew Barrymore. Drew Barrymore! She was miniature and cute as a button, wearing some big headphones while she exercised. About four minutes into my run and Drew-discovery, her much-gossiped about boyfriend Justin Long walks over and the two start chatting away about working out and shooting some movie and something else I don't remember. (Yes, I pressed pause on my ipod so I could eavesdrop--sue me). Drew finished her workout and moments later I saw her and Justin walk out of the gym, arm in arm--so cute it made me want to vomit.

Anyways, when I was on my way out I spotted a great t-shirt that said "Wax Bush" and realized the owner of said shirt was Sanjay from Weeds, or Jonathan from 30 Rock, or Maulik Pancholy, as he is known in real life. I guess all established actors go to the gym at 7 pm on a Monday night.

Last night (Tuesday) I went with Roomie #1 to a reading of a fantastic play called Three Days of Rain, which starred three experienced thespians, one of them being Justin Kirk (also of Weeds), who is in my opinion one of the most talented actors working today. This man is seriously brilliant. His performance was perfectly nuanced, and every word was spoken with a sincere physicality to it that seemed to express a distinct purpose behind each movement. Kirk has an uncanny capacity to perfectly embody the characters he plays. I love him best as Andy on Weeds, but seeing him in the flesh, in a black box theater, and maybe just 10 feet away, showed his pure genius as an actor. Also--the play itself was fantastic. It was a really cool experience, to say the least.

This morning on my drive to work I saw Chris O'Donnell on his way to the gym (same one as Lori Loughlin, same place I saw him as before), and I've become really interested in what exactly this gym is. It's called Burn 60 and apparently it is some sort of total body workout in 60 minutes. So not really a gym, per se, but rather fitness classes.

Anyways, this has to be some kind of record for me. I used to see people in New York a lot, but never this frequently. While I never actually go up to an actor, and usually try to not acknowledge them anymore than I would anyone else, I will say that I don't know if I will every quite get over seeing a movie or tv star in the flesh.

No comments: