Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Some thoughts (plastic surgery edition)...

Continuing on yesterday's botox theme, I have a few thoughts on plastic surgery that I feel is my duty to share with the world (not really but I am going to share anyways). Being one who's experienced a degree of this (after my jaw surgery they had to move my chin for cosmetic purposes--or so the insurance companies determined... otherwise I would look like I was punched in the lower face) I know I can say with confidence that going under the knife is not a pleasant experience. So I am constantly amazed by how many people voluntarily do so. Furthermore, it is shocking how many women in Los Angeles walk around with that look that just screams "I love Botox!"

Last night I was watching some episodes of Veronica Mars (a great show I am just now discovering) that Lisa Rinna guest starred in and holy crap that woman is freaky looking. Her lips are so full of collagen I don't even know how she can open her mouth, much less move it to talk. Her face is so tight and sculpted she looks like an unnerving wax figure, and in some scenes she even resembles a younger Tammy Faye. Today as I was perusing my daily blogs I saw that Rinna popped up at the LA fashion show for Lauren Conrad last night. The photo of her could have been from the same episode of Veronica Mars I was watching--from four years ago.

My third day in LA I went to a yoga class at a studio on Fairfax and Santa Monica Blvd and I remember a woman walked in with that very obvious plastic surgery face. It was my first real encounter with the look that is surprisingly common in this city and a moment I don't think I'm soon to forget. That day was also the day I realized that no one in Hollywood walks anywhere. No one who is white at least. I got a lot of unfriendly stares. Fortunately Santa Monica has quite a different vibe...

No comments: