Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Weeds and why YOU should be watching

Weeds, on Showtime, falls into my highly esteemed category of television shows called The Best Show on TV. Yes, I realize I pluralized "show" but as I have a tendency to deliver this title to a select few (others include Battlestar Galactica and Friday Night Lights are the other two that come to mind) I am okay with keeping it singular.

I've watched Weeds since the first season. I remember spending Sundays my senior year of college plowing through a full season in one sitting. It's one of those shows I can watch over and over again, never tiring of subplot, and always surprised by its ingenuity. The writing is especially brilliant on the show, and paired with a perfect cast (Justin Kirk and Kevin Nealon are my favorites) it all feels so fluid, and organic. The fact that it's still strong into its fourth season, even with so many character and plot changes, is further evidence of the high quality of the show. And it's about marijuana. That's kind of awesome. Not awesome in the "duuuuuude, pot" way, but in the way that under a conservative government, and polarizing times, a show about a suburban housewife turned pot dealer has not only survived the airwaves, but has been critically acclaimed and publicly adored.

I'm looking forward to the new season. Last night's premiere was great, one of those moments were you feel like an old friend has come back into town, and wow does it feel nice. I think this season is going to be taking viewers in a new direction, and I have a feeling it's going to get political, with our beloved Nancy Botwin working in drug trafficking along the Mexico border (I guess when those desperate housewives fall, they fall hard). I sense debates about immigration and drug use in the future. And probably some more gems like Andy's season two diatribe on masturbation, which was a brilliantly executed monologue (seriously, go out and rent the DVDs, this is a show you can't miss). And yes, I just applauded a monologue on masturbation.

No comments: