Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Because I wasn't already shitting my pants...

From my Google Reader (but really from LAist):

42 Microquakes Has Experts Wondering if the Big One is Next
Between Saturday and Monday morning, 42 small earthquakes shook, ranging in in magnitude from 0.5 to 3.3, near the Salton Sea, east of Los Angeles,
according to the LA Times. "The worry for scientists comes from a case in 1987, when a magnitude-6.2 earthquake on one of the crossing faults appeared to trigger a 6.6 quake 12 hours later on the Superstition Hills fault to the south. The San Andreas fault is north of these crossing faults and the geometry is similar, [research geophysicist Graham] Kent said. This swarm, he said, 'is a flashing yellow light that tells you to be prepared and to spend some time trying to understand the significance.'" Of course, we never will really know until it happens. The only thing we are in control of is how prepared you are. Do you have at least 10 gallons stored per person in your household (and don't forgot some for your pets!).

Great. Just when I start to humor ideas of staying in LA a little longer. You know, I am so incredibly freaked out by earthquakes that I occasionally will wake up in the middle of the night thinking there is one about to happen. It's becoming somewhat problematic. However, IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN. I guess it's probably unnecessary to live in a state of constant fear but I CAN'T HELP IT, OKAY?

No comments: