Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Broken Record

I realize that I can't shut up about certain shows, Friday Night Lights, Bones, Buffy being some of them--and I'd like to take a moment to wax poetic about Battlestar Galactica, which is sadly coming to an end with it's 84th hour this Friday night. BSG is a profound show--that's probably one of the best ways I can think to describe it. So profound in fact, that last night there was a BSG panel discussion at the United Nations in New York. Yes, you read that correctly, THE UNITED NATIONS.

Now, I have some experience at the United Nations. Please, try to hide your shock, but I was at one time--a scholar. (Continue holding shock please. Thanks). My last semester of college was not spent toiling in the hallowed buildings of Middlebury, but rather at the UN home base in Geneva, Switzerland, where I spent 5 months studying and working on my senior independent project/essay/thesis type thing. (Something about the EU and Turkey and national identity and politics and big words and the overuse of the phrase "most salient issue" and other things I've obviously blocked from my memory). The UN is an interesting place--a lot of worldly types, impressive politicos, negotiators, bureaucrats, decrepit library, peacocks wandering the grounds, great cafeteria, the works. Obviously, the fact that BSG was at the UN says something about the legitimacy of the subject material of the show (and not the illegitimacy of the UN, thank you very much) and even though the show bids farewell in two days--it's a must see, and thank God for TV on DVD. Do yourself a favor and get watching. Start with the mini-series and go from there. It's 4 seasons of compelling drama, characters and story lines.

Great write-ups of the UN event, where the topics included Human Rights, Children & Armed Conflict, Terrorism, and Reconciliation & Dialogue Among Civilizations & Faith, can be found here and here.

No comments: