Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Thank You For Ruining One of My Favorite Childhood Books

Growing up, the children's book Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was one of my very favorite stories. I have found memories of both my parents reading aloud the story of a strange town where food was delivered via weather patterns.

As it happens with many books, this one has been adapted to a movie. I was so excited to see the trailer and then, this:





If you can't see the clip in full, watch here.

Now, those who haven't read the book might think this still looks entertaining. Sure. Why not. However--this whole bit about an inventor? Completely NOT faithful to the original story that was so convincing in whimsy and idea that my imagination spun at the possibility of such a creative concept. Some of my favorite images from the story were the restaurants that lacked roofs, or the sailboats made of bread. While some of those images seem to have been recreated, overall this new plot line that the food-weather is man-made is upsetting. Will I see it anyway? Probably. But the book will forever hold a special place in my heart.

No comments: