Friday, March 07, 2008

Cleansing

So I have two friends (one being Roomie #1) who are doing the Master Cleanse at the moment. If you've never heard of it, the cleanse is a fast or diet for 10 days when you only drink a "lemonade" mixture of fresh squeezed lemon juice, maple syrup, cayenne pepper. In addition, you drink laxative tea every day and use a natural enema, in this case a salt water flush. It's quite fascinating actually. The point is to detoxify. Not like I am eating fast food every day or putting drugs up nose, but I am definitely feeling the need to do something kind of radical to get a sort of jump start or fresh slate. Also, some added benefits of the cleanse are mental clarity, heightened sense of awareness, and a whole lot of energy. Physically, it is a complete cleanse of your colon and all that stuff on the inside where all the crud from the food we eat builds up over the years. So pretty much you crap your brains out. Paaaaaaaarty.

Anyways, after talking to my friends in length, and becoming somewhat obsessive about learning more, I have embarked upon this 10 day liquid diet. After all, I did already experience an 8 week period of no solid foods after my surgery (jaw wired shut... get it?) so I figure this should be a walk in the park. I will say that waking up at 4 in the morning to drink a quart of salt water is awful. The gag reflex really kicked in. Oh but now I understand why as children we were always instructed to never swallow salt water--it makes you poop... excessively. (This post is really going in a lovely direction, huh?)

So expect some interesting blog posts over the next 10 days. Hopefully I won't go crazy. I remember some times after my surgery when I would reach for food without even thinking. This might be worse because I can physically open my jaw. In any case, it's sure to be an adventure.

No comments: