Thursday, May 22, 2008

New York Nostalgia

I'm having some serious New York nostalgia right now (this from the girl who spent her last three days in that city bemoaning the humidity, smells, and goddamn annoying public transportation) because I read this New York Times article announcing the closing of Florent, one of my all time favorite New York City restaurants and a true New York establishment. (Those of you in New York should go for brunch. They put cinnamon in the coffee and their bacon crisping is an art form--and it's open 24 hours).

It's true that absence makes the heart grow fonder, because while living in New York, I never experienced the sharp pangs of missing a place you love until moving here to LA. But do I love New York? I don't know if I would say that... I definitely miss it and I certainly love specific things about the city, and especially the time I've spent with my friends there. At this point in my life it's not the city for me however, and even when I think about the staples I miss (and may forever, if more places like Florent close down) I know that it wouldn't be the right place for me right now.

It's funny how that works--how certain geographical locations are perfectly suited to match our mental state at various points in our lives. It makes me wonder where I'll be five years from now, or even ten. Yesterday I had my physical and I was talking to the doctor about the volatile past few years. She asked me if I finally felt settled here. I imagine that I do, but in all honestly I think I'll end up back on the East Coast. After telling the doctor this she gave me a look and said, "Five years from now and you'll realize you just can't take the weather anywhere else." We'll see... (I reminded her of my sweating issues and the heat in the summer months, and she noted that my thyroid would be checked in the blood work. Maybe there's a medical explanation for the perspiration? Probably not, but I guess I'll know in a week.)

To return to where I started, Florent's closing is a huge bummer. I don't think I'll be making a trip back to the city to get to eat there one last time (again, all you New Yorkers--go!) so it's funny to think that I now understand the whimsical nostalgia so many New Yorkers share when ruminating on the ever-changing city.

No comments: