Friday, May 23, 2008

TV Obsession/Love

Sometimes I think about my emotional attachment to a specific television show and I worry about myself. I worry about my sanity, me mental state, and the effect such a love might have on my ability to socialize. But then I think about all the other people who build similar attachments, all the other fans who devote an hour every week to watch a fictional drama enfold. I think I'll be okay.

I have watched Grey's Anatomy since its first season and was hooked from the start, not because of the romances--I was actually never a fan of the Meredith-Derek on and off relationship, they just annoy me--but I loved the show for its story lines, sharp dialouge and fun characters. Over the course of its run, my enthusiasm has waxed and waned, but somewhere during season two it reached obsessive, then dying down around the miserable plot lines of the second half of the third season.

Since the strike's end and the final airing of this season's remaining episodes, I've definitely felt the old Grey's Anatomy I first loved from season one is back, and last night's season finale seemed to encapsulate this effortless return to form. I even rejoiced at the long-time-coming resolution between Grey and her McDreamy, and am not going to lie that a tear or two escaped my eyes. Other highlights included the incredible moment in which Dr. Bailey revealed her perfect knowledge of Star Wars, specifically Han Solo, and later when an emotional Alex actually broke down and cried. I could go on and on about other moments that stood out, which I have been doing all morning with one of my friends, but I'll spare you the fangirl rehashing.

I would like to comment on the feeling I get after I watch a great show. Maybe it's a little obsessive or over the top, but after watching Grey's Anatomy last night I was just so happy--much like finishing a good book or after watching a great film. There's nothing quite like that satisfying moment after viewing some quality performances in a nicely packaged two hour special.

I know there are a lot of Grey's haters out there, or for that matter, a lot of TV haters in general. That's fine--we are all entitled to our own opinions, I just happen to be someone who loves television. It's one of the reasons I moved to LA in the first place, so I could maybe get involved with the process of making the things I love. When I watch a show like Grey's and I am left with that bubbly happy feeling, I am again reminded of that desire to be out here and be a part of it all. Especially after the crazy days where I question my career choices. It's reassuring, comforting, and encouraging.

If only I had a music supervisor who could also skillfully design a soundtrack for my life, because the chick who does the music on GA is pure genius.

No comments: