Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Too Much Time On My Hands

As an assistant, especially in the entertainment industry, I feel you learn very quickly how to pass time (annie's blog is a great example of this). It starts as an intern when you have little to no responsibility, but still need to clock 8-9 hour days. It use to take me from 10am to 6pm to read 2 scripts and write coverage at one internship, which would have seemed absurd had not all the other interns been just as inefficient as I. Besides having a ridiculous ability to procrastinate, the internet and AIM ate up most of my day. And ironically enough, I would spend most of those hours talking to the intern who was down the hall from me. At one internship, I had so much free time that my internet shopping became a problem. I signed up for magazine subscriptions, bought useless and unnecessary items on target.com, and signed my soul away to the devil - aka columbia house DVD program. I was so exicted that I could get 10 DVDs for 50 cents that I didn't read the fine print. I'm usually much more street wise, but when you're on "summer break" from college, hung over, sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day NOT getting paid, you start to lose it a little.

As I was saying though, you learn how to pass time and more importantly how to do it while looking busy. People know you are not in fact busy, but if you've ever had to be that assistant supervising interns, you don't really care. If they've finished doing all the tasks you don't want to do (ie - filing, creating labels, reorganizing your boss's rolodex - yes people still use those and it's a pain in the arse to do) you'd rather they didn't circle your desk looking to be entertained.

The reason I bring this topic up is because my boss and the higher ups today are all out of the office in Santa Monica at some research seminar ALL DAY. This means I don't have to look busy, but I do have to keep busy so I don't reevaluate my life wondering why I'm spending the best years of my life in a 3 walled cubicle. So my first distraction of the harsh realities of life was to blog; however I didn't know what to blog about. Lots of pressure. Then I thought, why don't I address all the blogs Annie has brought up moi (that's for you Stamos), so I did a lil Ctrl F action and found all the references to Roomie #1 and wrote them down.

This is right up there with googling my name and right about the time I thought, man, I have entirely too much time on my hands.

side note - if you google my name please note that I didn't create my IMDB profile and was shocked after a slow day at the office to discover it when I googled my name and saw, Supervisor for HD Yule Log. The levels of hilarity that go behind this are endless and for a later blog.

No comments: